The right mindset is a critical factor if you are to have success in an online business.
Of course there are many factors that you need to be successful in an online business but without the right mindset none of those matter much.
A conversation I had with a friend earlier this week prompted me to write a post on my other blog about baby boomers.
More specifically it was about not being too old to start online. You can read it at Baby Boomers are Not Too Old to Have an Online Business
It is a very short post with a video. I talk about my journey online and how for the longest time my thinking was getting in my own way.
Specifically I kept thinking I had to be more techie. I would tell myself I could not succeed because I did not grow up with computers as an example.
One of the comments I received was from a young woman who had been telling herself she was too young to have success.
So I got to thinking that these are all excuses that can stop our success.
Here are some excuses I have heard from people who say they cannot have success online.
- Age – too young too old ( I have used that one)
- Too busy
- I am not entrepreneurial
- I am not a technical person ( that was me)
- I do not have the money to start
- I don’t know where or how to start
- I am not a marketer
If you have the right mindset for success in an online business you know these are excuses.
Here is the truth.
1. Age – There are people of all ages having success in their online business. I know 20 year olds who have built six figure incomes online. I know of people in their 70’s who are having success online. It is all about having the right mindset.
If you are a baby boomer or beyond remember you have a wealth of knowledge, experience and life skills that you bring with you.
Age is no barrier.
2. Too busy – This one comes up especially when people still have a job and want to start an online business to transition into in the future. Often these people dislike their job and want badly to be able to create their life differently. If this is you then you need to find a way or you will never make the transition.
I know people in the business I am part of that work 60 hours in their jobs and they are still building a successful online business.
Maybe you can get up earlier or stay up later. There is always a way if you want it.
3. I am not entrepreneurial – I hear this one quite a bit but here is my opinion. It depends what you are going to do in your online business. If you are going to be a creator of new products and systems then sure you need entrepreneurial skills but there are many systems you can plug into and just follow the system.
4. I am not technical – now this was my biggest excuse for way too long. Finally my mentor at the time told me to get over it. I did and now while I do not particularly like doing the tech things I can do quite a bit. Outsourcing is a great option for the things we do not like doing.
Let me add I know several 7 and 8 figure earners online who have limited technical skills.
5. I do not have the money to start – This one can come up when someone is joining a network marketing or affiliate business. It may be they do not have the start up money or they do not have money for ongoing costs associated with an online business.
It is a business and all businesses have start up and ongoing expenses.
If you compare starting a business online to buying a franchise or starting your own traditional business this is very inexpensive.
6. I do not know where or how to start – I think we were all there when we started. My advice it to either join a system where you will get training, guidance and support or get a good mentor.
You do need to learn and invest in your training.
7. I am not a marketer – neither were many other people when they came online. There are people from all walks of life running successful online businesses.
Marketing is a skill that can be learned.
Now that I have covered some common excuses I will conclude with some of the traits and skills you need to have success in an online business.
- You need to be disciplined and follow through with the activities required to build a business online.
- You need to have the right mindset as I said in the beginning and that means working on it every day. Reading listening to audios and things that uplift and develop your mindset.
- You need to have persistence.
- You need to be focused on what you are doing and avoid those bright shiny objects . What I mean here is do not get distracted by the next best deal. Stay on your game.
- You need to build relationships and care about people. That is fundamental to success in business.
- Finally as I said before you should find a mentor or support group.
In closing on the subject of having the right mindset for success in an online business know it takes time. There is no such thing as overnight success.
Vow to never quit as that is the only sure way you can fail.
As Napoleon Hill said…
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. Thoughts are things! And powerful things at that, when mixed with definiteness of purpose, and burning desire, can be translated into riches. – Napoleon Hill
Please leave me your comments below and what did I miss?
I am working with a very streamlined system that can cut the learning curve and get people results much faster. I absolutely love it. You can check it out here and work with me.
Catch me on Skype = sueprice