Nature an Unstoppable Force
We currently have cyclones off the east coast of Australia causing havoc with some areas. I never cease to be amazed at the powerful unstoppable force of nature.
I got to thinking about what it can mean for us in business. Before I go there we need a bit of background..
Australia Day Long Weekend
This weekend in Australia is our long weekend to celebrate Australia Day. I wrote about Australia Day last year so if you do not know what it is please read it at What is Australia Day
This is the third consecutive year in QLD, the state I live in, where we have had rain on this Australia Day long weekend. It is summer and QLD is tropical so we get summer rain. Last year it was just heavy rain but in 2011 we had widespread flooding and this year once again some areas are experiencing flooding.
Australia Day is January 26 so it was Saturday. We spent the day with friends on a deck eating, drinking and sheltering from the rain. We had fun while the far north of the state was being hit by cyclonic winds and downpours.
Later that evening we were woken to the sound of squalling winds and heavy rain. We did not leave the house yesterday as it was quite treacherous. We were blessed to keep our power unlike many people we know who are still without electricity.
This morning the winds had subsided so we decided to go and look at the beach. We live in a tourist seaside town. This is what we saw.
This next picture is the amount of beach that we have left. Only a few feet left in just one night! The photo below was taken Christmas day just a month ago and you can see how wide the beach is there.
The Cyclone moves down the Coast
We were blessed really only to lose the beach. In some towns close to us there has been severe flooding and homes and businesses damaged by the cyclonic winds.
As the cyclone has moved down the coast it seems to have intensified and to top it off we currently are experiencing king tides. There are many streets, homes and businesses flooded and more expected to be effected. Many people have been evacuated from their homes.
For some of these people and businesses this also happened to them two years ago. Now I am a great believer of the Law of Attraction but for now I will just say that we cannot control nature. We cannot stop a cyclone. So what can we do and what lessons can we take from this. I always like to look at the lessons in any experience.
Lessons from Nature
This is some lessons I can think of and I am sure there are more.
1. A home based business has the advantage that it is portable. Even if my home is flooded if my computer is safe I can work anywhere.If my computer was damaged as long as I have backed up in the cloud I can retrieve my data. The hard disc I back up on would be of little value to me if it were also in the flood. I am glad I also use My PC Backup.
2. There are things outside of our control and if a disaster happens we should have plan B in place. This applies to our income sources if we have multiple streams of income is something happens to one we are more secure.
3. My favorite one – residual income. If we are stopped totally from working for a period of time by a force like nature then a residual income is very important. It will continue to come in and allow us to deal with the situation at hand.
4. Are we adequately insured and what does our policy cover?
5. Do I have all my important documents (passport etc) in a place where I can easily get them if I have to evacuate?
I am sure there are other lessons. Can you think of any?
Today I am grateful that we were spared any damage from this storm and I pray for many others still to feel the worst of it as it passes down the coast of Australia. I would love to hear your comments and experiences at times like this. I would also appreciate you sharing this post as I am sure many of you have friends on the east coast of Australia.
Check out this free video showing how ANYONE can make $150-$500 per day online!