Why is learning to love yourself so important? It is important because until we truly love ourselves we cannot love another, nor will we be happy.
I grew up in a time when loving yourself was not spoken about and certainly no one ever talked about how to do it. I was told to be modest, not to “show off” and never to say I was good at anything.
My mother often referred to people in a very negative way if she thought they loved themselves or they looked too confident.
When I started on my personal development/awareness journey I was staggered at the thought that I should love myself.
Over the years I have come to understand the importance of loving ourselves.
Learning to love yourself is the most important thing you can do.
Maybe you do love yourself.
Maybe this message does not apply to you. If it does not then congratulations as sadly for most people they struggle with self love.
For many of us this quote is true.
“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.” Josh Billings
I think that is one of the reasons we love our dogs so much. They do show unconditional love. This is what we need to show ourselves.
I was listening to an interview with Louise Hay on the weekend. She said when she first started working with people she used to work on particular issues people had. Then over time she realized she could get a much better result by helping them love themselves. She said when a person truly loves and accepts themselves everything falls into place.
I could not find the interview again to share here however this one has a similar message.
Louise Hay – How to Love Yourself
Her five points were;
1. Control your thoughts
2. Love and accept yourself
3. Be grateful
4. You have no limitations
5. Trust your life’s journey
I love the reminder that all of our beliefs are simply choices.
Here are some tools you can use to assist in learning to love yourself
- First thing in the morning look into a mirror and say “I love you [name]”. I obviously say “I love you Sue”. Then I suggest you repeat it through the day when you brush your teeth, shave, do your make-up etc. It is not easy when you start but stick with it.
- There are heaps of guided meditations on YouTube you can do to help you in your journey of learning to love yourself.
- Affirmations are another great tool. Louise Hay mentioned one in her video “I love and approve of myself”.
- Have more fun in your life. Laugh. Do things that make you feel joyful. We all feel better about ourselves when we are having fun.
- Do things to nurture your soul. It might be a walk in nature, a massage, a swim – whatever makes you feel in touch with the beauty of you.
“Beauty is when you can appreciate yourself. When you love yourself, that’s when you’re most beautiful.” Zoe Kravitz
Isn’t that true? Someone who truly loves and appreciates themselves radiates beauty.
This song sends goose bumps all over me every time I hear it.
Whitney Houston – Greatest Love of All
The greatest love of all – learning to love yourself!
I think Lucille says it very well.
“Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” Lucille Ball
Do you agree that learning to love yourself is very important?
Have an amazing day and enjoy being you!