In my last post Online Marketing – Do It Yourself or Done for You? I asked the question whether you like to do things yourself or have them done for you. If you have not read it I suggest you do as this is a follow up. I was asking the question in relation to online marketing.
In the main most people who left a comment were
- a mixture of both Do it yourself and done for you.
- Some were much more inclined to do things themselves and others outsource the areas they do not enjoy.
- For some people outsourcing is not an option right now because of financial considerations and that is understandable.
- Some people just like to do everything themselves.
It occurred to me as I responded to the comments that no matter how little or much we outsource we still need to approach our business as the CEO.
For most of us that have a home based business we are the CEO, Sales Manager, Marketing Manager and all the rest of the roles down to the most junior employee. What is important is that we think like the CEO – the person in charge of the business and not the junior employee.
Be The CEO Of Your Home Based Business
I know many people who start a home based business have been employees all their life and they think like employees. You are now the CEO and need to learn to think like one. I know you have to do all those other tasks too but it is important how you think. Do not get so bogged down in tasks that you forget the big picture.
For me it is almost the reverse. I was the CEO of a couple of different businesses before I started working from home. I found it difficult to have no one to delegate to. It took me a while but as I worked out what I really did not want to do I started to outsource.
Most people who commented on my last post agreed they cannot do everything themselves in their business.
How do you – Be the CEO of your Home Based Business ?
The CEO is in charge and is responsible for the performance and success of the business. In a corporation he or she does not do everything themselves but oversees the business.
In our home based business, unlike the CEO of a corporation, we do not have other people to report to us so how do we act like a CEO?
We begin by thinking like a business owner and CEO. We may have to do many of the other roles ourselves in the beginning but how we think is critical.
Donna Merrill talks about “positioning” here in her article called Take Ownership Of Your Online Business I suggest you have a read.
What skills does a CEO have that you can develop?
- Leadership – this is a skill set you can learn. There are countless books on the subject. I particularly love reading autobiographies of entrepreneurs I respect such as Steve Jobs and Richard Branson.
- Business planning- again you can learn this and if you do not know how then find a coach or mentor. Or you can join a mastermind group and learn to brainstorm.
- Educate yourself about business in general.
- Know what is important to your business success and don’t get buried in detail
- Communication skills are critical for your business
- People skills
And I am sure there are more traits and skills but just make a start on thinking like the business owner. If you are unsure ask yourself the question “am I thinking like a CEO or an employee?”
Please leave me a comment below on Be The CEO Of Your Home Based Business. Do you think like a CEO and business owner?
If you found this post of value please share it on social media.
I am very excited to be part of an amazing group of online marketers who really do offer a “done for you” system.