I just finished watching a recording of a Google Hangout with some amazing women. It was about being happy and inspired me to write a post sharing some of the insights from the women as well as my own take on the subject.
The timing of this subject was perfect for me as I had some bad news on my Dad’s health on the weekend. It was not really a surprise as his health has been declining for a while now but nevertheless I spent the weekend with floods of sadness.
When you are a believer and follower of the law of attraction you guard your thoughts. I kept trying to think of things to make me feel happy. I am a true believer in this quote by Abraham and Esther Hicks.
Whatever you’re thinking about is literally like planning a future event. When you’re worrying, you are planning. When you are appreciating, you are planning…What are you planning?
There are times though when you are not happy. When you have to deal with sad news and family crisis being happy does not seem attainable.
The thing is for me I believe we should really let ourselves feel the pain but I do not want to wallow in it forever.
My husband was doing everything he could to support me. He asked me what were the happiest times I remember about my Dad. I started telling him childhood memories and I noticed right away my heart felt lighter. I could see my Dad as he was and knew those memories will always be there.
So I wanted to share with you some of the tips I use to reach for better thoughts and also a couple these women on the hangout gave.
Happiness is a choice but we are not happy all the time. We can have minor hassles in our business like our computer packs it in, our internet is down and so the list goes on. Not major things but nevertheless irritations. I find these minor frustrations much easier to turn my state of mind around than when I hear sad news of someone I love.
Here are some of the things I do daily and repeat more than once if I need to make myself feel happier.
Being Happy – things that make me happier
- I give thanks and write out things I am grateful for. I do this daily at least once. If I am feeling flat I do it often.
- I pick up a book. I have several that I open randomly and there is always a message for me. One book I often refer to is one I have had for years and years called ” The Wisdom of Florence Scovel Shinn” which is a book that includes 4 of her books. The first book I read of her’s was many years ago and is called “The Game of Life”.
- I listen or watch something inspirational. There is a world of them on YouTube .
- I go for a walk, to the gym or yoga or if the weather permits I will have a swim. That feels like it washes my heart clean.
- I meditate with a meditation audio. My favorite right now is “Getting into the Vortex” by Esther Hicks. They are just short 15 minute meditations and I always feel like a new person when I have finished.
They are my main strategies for changing my state. What do you do to feel happier?
Being Happy – Other suggestions from the women on the hangout.
- Just lighten up
- Put a smile on your face and keep it there for 60 seconds and see if you feel better
- Journal or write
- Have a manicure
- Buy yourself some flowers
- Do a random act of kindness for someone else ( I love that one!)
- Play sport
- Take action on something
- Play with your kids (if you have them of course)
So there you have it. If you want to watch the Hangout you will be able to do it for the next week and then it will be replaced by the next one. You can find it at Women’s Lounge.
I would love to hear your strategies on being happy. Please share them with us. Also I would love to hear your opinion on whether you think it is possible to be happy all the time. Is happiness something w practice or are we born a certain way? Please share your thoughts. If you found this post valuable please share it with your friends.
Check out this free video showing how ANYONE can make $150-$500 per day online!